Furlong Colony 1: Ksp-Gaming
F U R L O N G C O L O N Y 1
A sporadic update of the important effects unfolding in Furlong Colony 1.

Monday, May 4, 2009

Ksp-Gaming





Korea is unique in the fact that it is one of the few nations with a national video game channel, which broadcasts video game competitions 24-7. MSL, which amongst Koreans aged 6 to 35 basically has the same popularity as one our major sports networks, is one of the reasons why I and Korea get along so well. 95% of Korean males are geeks. Christ, even the girls here play video games at the PC rooms well after their 16 birthdays. Are they just making their boyfriends happy? Perhaps, but I have observed some pretty competitive Kart Rider matches between two girlfriends.

I have a hard time imagining a similar gaming channel in Canada or the States being supported by a similar depth of gaming culture. There is definitely a dedicated gaming community in both countries (You just don't see them. :) ), but generally the culture is aimed at teams sports and television watching.

As I sit here writing this, two Korean Ksp-Gaming commentators wearing metallic-black suits are arguing over a Special Forces match just like Sports Center or Hockey Night in Canada commentators would argue over a game back home.

No comments:

 
F U R L O N G C O L O N Y 1
A sporadic update of the important events unfolding in Furlong Colony 1.