Furlong Colony 1: Gatbawi Temple, Daegu
F U R L O N G C O L O N Y 1
A sporadic update of the important effects unfolding in Furlong Colony 1.

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Gatbawi Temple, Daegu


In an effort to improve my health and use my camera, each of the last four Sundays I have traveled to a new temple; and since South Korea is so small, almost all its temples are within a three hour radius by train, so if I leave the night before, I have a full-day the next day to explore. These are my best photos from my trip to a temple just outside Daegu called "Gatbawi", famous for its Buddha wearing a big stone hat.

Full screen slideshow.

6 comments:

Jamie said...

Buddists usually climb up the high mountains to get to temples or a big budda statues, where they do 108 big bows while preying. All the procedure from leaving home to preying is preying itself.
Small sacrifising like letting themselves suffer hard time. this time of the year is budda's birthday so there are so many lanterms displayed holding each family's hope. good work Chris.
But still I see a cubby boy there.
my cubby cubby BFF

Jamie said...

well misspelling ..chubby

Chris said...

Why 108 bows?

Jamie said...

I'm not sure because I'm not a buddist. It's brobably from the budda's story suffering and sacrifysing for the people
108 times sufferings, pain, gripe of Budda's.
So the laces that buddists holding while preying have 108 small wodden balls.

Jamie said...

misspelling again ...pray
or more
My typing sucks even late, I hate this.

Chris said...

Don't correct it on the blog, correct it in your head.

 
F U R L O N G C O L O N Y 1
A sporadic update of the important events unfolding in Furlong Colony 1.