Furlong Colony 1: Tay Kwon Doe Chris
F U R L O N G C O L O N Y 1
A sporadic update of the important effects unfolding in Furlong Colony 1.

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Tay Kwon Doe Chris


At the Andong Mask festival Jamie and I went to a month ago, I got my cartoon portrait done. I was willing to pay up 50,000 Won, but it turned out to be really cheap. Only 25,000 Won for a cartoon Chris. They had pre-made bodies made so that the sketch artist only has to draw the head. I selected the tay kwon doe body.

As we waited for the artist to color in the sketch, which took about an hour, the artist happened upon us in the crowd and struck up a conversation. He told me, with his eyebrows arched (he reminded me of Uncle Gary), that similar cartoon portraits in the United States sold for $200 USD. I would never have paid that much to get it done, but I understand the economics that allow such expensive portraits to sell.

I wouldn't say I jealous or envious after I first saw it in Andy's room. I only remember thinking that I would have to have that done someday. The cartoon sketch of Andy really did capture his face in an interesting way. So once I saw the tens of sketch artists drawing at the mask festival, I decided to get it done, that now was the time. Unfortunately for me, the sketch didn't look anything like me when it was finished; fortunately for me, I can afford to spend another 25 bucks at the next festival.

5 comments:

AK said...

I can attest that my caricature did not run me anywhere near $200 USD.

Is it me, or does this drawing look a bit like your brother?

Josh said...

I'm chubbier.

Chris said...

A lot chubbier.

Chris said...

It wasn't really a caricature, Andy. There was another booth for caricatures. This booth was basically just for cartoon renditions. I don't think she was good enough for caricatures.

Chris said...

I've gained a lot of weight since the last time Andy saw me... I didn't like that the artist drew in my double chin. :(

 
F U R L O N G C O L O N Y 1
A sporadic update of the important events unfolding in Furlong Colony 1.