Furlong Colony 1: Join The Melamine Girl's Choir!
F U R L O N G C O L O N Y 1
A sporadic update of the important effects unfolding in Furlong Colony 1.

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Join The Melamine Girl's Choir!

Teaching phonics to 5-15 years is a fairly easy job - its a lot easier than tree planting! - and it has its benefits: The Melamine Girl's Choir.

On Tuesday, I was preparing for my 4th class of the day. My classes are a half an hour long, with one fifteen minute break in between. The Power Puff girls came in as usual, all smilies and positive energy. On that particular day they were all laughing about some joke one of them had told on the bus just before they got my classroom.

There are two types of groups of girls: The Collectives and The Power Puff Girls (PPG). The PPG are groups of girls who work together positively in pursuit of a common goal. They are sugar and spice and everything nice. The Collective (TC) is their polar opposite. TCs work together negatively in opposition to something. They are salt and pepper and everything not nice.

Anyway, as I said, I was getting ready for the PPG class, organizing the chairs and getting rid of garbage, getting my books ready, writing the page I was going to cover with them on the whiteboard, when I heard the choir sing, "Melamine! Melamine! Melamine!.

I usally carry my backpack with me when I go to school. I keep my pens, books, IPOD, and camera in it and usually set it down next to the whiteboard where students can see it, up against my dvd player stand. That day I had snacked on half a packaged of ZEC crackers (there are two packages in each box), which are South Korea's cheap copy of Nabisco Ritz crackers, and had shoved it in the side pocket of my packet after snacking.

Children are much more susceptible to the effects of toxins parts per million. A little bit of melamine for an adult might be a lot of melamine for an 8 year old or 11 year old. These five girls' parents had obviously taught them well, because once Mary had identified the package of ZEC crackers, the five of them sang to me almost in unison, "Melamine! Melamine! Melamine!". They were warning me not to eat the crackers.

Now, you must understand that my ability to communicate with these girls is limited. And their ability to communicate with me is limited They just started to learn English at a hagwon three months ago, so our only avenue for conversation is the exchange of one-word sentences. My response to their warning was "Yes, yes, yes, I know". But when I hadn't thrown the ZEC box in the garbage after a couple of minutes, the choir warned me again, "Melamine! Melamine! Melamine!"

By then I was getting a bit spooked. I had bought the crackers at one of Gumi's thousands of mom and pop convenience stores and was starting to wonder if they would pull tainted products of the shelf if there was a national recall of melamine tainted products. I told myself, yes, yes they would, because the threat of being sued would be too great for a business of that size.

After the Power Puff Girls had left, I decided that I would ask my advanced 7th class to tell me if there was any milk in the ingredients. Matthew, who is in grade school, but who speaks the best English in my school, told me that there was only butter in the package, but no milk, and Paul, the middle schooler, said there was no melamine in it because there was no milk in it. I agreed.

The melamine crisis has not gained my interest beyond highlighting the inherent stupidity and danger of an unregulated market, of market evangelism itself. When I hear of the tained product scares, I basically assume the government agencies responsible for catching the monsters of deregulation will do their jobs, or face severe political backlash. Which means, the most interesting part of the melamine scam is not the scam itself, but the Melamine Girls Choir that it created.

36 comments:

Josh said...

Its funny how you assume the store wouldn't sell a tainted because of fear of a lawsuit, and not fear of being shutdown by the government.

Its an acknowledgment on your part that putting your trust completely in government regulations is a dangerous action and an individual needs to find truth on his or her own, as you did.

When Maple Leaf Foods had their listeria contamination, the business went out of its way on its own and told the public and put into action recalls on a long list of their products.

Michael McCain, CEO Maple Leaf Foods, went on TV in an effort to maintain his company's reputation with the public.

I'm sure the government was involved in this in some way, as they are in everything else, though it wasn't apparent. What other choice did McCain have when people started dieing from his product? He had to save face to save business. Even a company the size of Maple Leaf Foods would have a hard time surviving if people were dieing from their product and they were not acting responsibly to resolved the issue.

Thank back to how quickly the Pop Shoppe went out of business when broken glass was found in a bottle...

Chris said...

Yes, but this was a month after the crisis.

Josh said...

What is your point?

Chris said...

Not funny at all. I don't consider the government anti-business. If anything, is it pro-business.

Sure, putting one's trust all into one thing is a dangerous action. That's why I call you a market evangelist.

Chris said...

it is pro-business.
(they need to make an edit function for these comments)

Josh said...

Mm-hmm...do big business is causing all the troubles in the world, government is pro big business (because they're bought out by big business), and therefore you want more government...right?

Chris said...

LOL, not all government is big business, or at least hasn't been. The problem these days is that a majority of it is controlled by big business.

Anyway, routine inspections cut down on dangerous products being introduced into the market.

Josh said...

Yes, and businesses have incentives within the market to inspect their own products. Consistency in quality is very important.

Douglas Porter said...

And the one's without brands to protect have the incentive to lie and cheat for short-term profits. You've been living in a regulated world all your life, so you wouldn't understand that short-run companies that screwed the public were not that uncommon before FDR.

Josh said...

Certainly if these short-run companies caused so much pain to society, then the people held them accountable.

Example please?

Chris said...

The Chinese companies that substituted melamine for protein in milk.

Better not to happen at all, Josh! A regulator regime with suprise inspections eliminates this problem. You see, your argument is thus: Let's completely deregulate and let the market and let people choose not to buy from a company THAT HAS ALREADY POISONED OR KILLED THEM.

Josh said...

"You see, your argument is thus: Let's completely deregulate and let the market and let people choose not to buy from a company THAT HAS ALREADY POISONED OR KILLED THEM."

...and prosecute the people who run the company so that no other company has the incentive to do the same thing.

Josh said...

Please provide some examples of these short-run companies that FDR saved the world from?

Chris said...

"...and prosecute the people who run the company so that no other company has the incentive to do the same thing."

AFTER they are dead? Or permanantly poisoned? I think not.

"Please provide some examples of these short-run companies that FDR saved the world from?"

Um, no. If it has happened once, it has happened before. Scams are not some rare phenomenon that I have to prove.

Josh said...

"AFTER they are dead? Or permanantly poisoned? I think not."

Government is not perfect either. One of the dangers of living is dieing.

"Um, no. If it has happened once, it has happened before. Scams are not some rare phenomenon that I have to prove."

But some how FDR waived his magic wand and made these all go away? ENRON.

Douglas Porter said...

"Government is not perfect either. One of the dangers of living is dieing."

Just as the police protect private property, inspection agencies reduce crime dramatically.

"But some how FDR waived his magic wand and made these all go away? ENRON."

Enron was different than inspecting products, Josh. Don't be stupid.

Josh said...

"Just as the police protect private property, inspection agencies reduce crime dramatically."

Yes. Please! More police!

"Enron was different than inspecting products, Josh. Don't be stupid."

Regulation is regulation.

Douglas Porter said...

You are pro-police, because you want your private property protected! Do I detect a little anarchism in your libertarianism?

"Regulation is regulation"

Nope. Product checks are different than accounting fraud. And yes, I am for accounting regulations.

Josh said...

Police is funded locally. You're talking about federal inspection agencies, which again, I wouldn't have much of a problem with if they could do this without stealing from me.

Douglas Porter said...

"Police is funded locally. You're talking about federal inspection agencies, which again, I wouldn't have much of a problem with if they could do this without stealing from me."

Yes, and those are still taxes, Josh! STEALING! And, yes, a basic federal agency would be needed to protect property across state borders.

You are a hypocrite, sir! You pick and choose what taxes you consider "stealing".

Josh said...

Taking money without choice is stealing. I'm not choosing, this is very simple stuff.

Josh said...

"a basic federal agency would be needed to protect property across state borders."

Not really. Crimes committed in a state can by tried by the state. Such as Enron. Enron was prosecuted in Texas state courts.

Douglas Porter said...

I have to buy products. It is therefore not a choice when I pay taxes on those products. The only choice I have is which product I buy, not whether I want to pay tax or not.

"Not really. Crimes committed in a state can by tried by the state. Such as Enron. Enron was prosecuted in Texas state courts."

Yes, but SOMETIMES crimes span across many states.

Josh said...

"SOMETIMES crimes span across many states." Then an individual will be tried for multiple crimes in multiple courts.

Douglas Porter said...

"SOMETIMES crimes span across many states." Then an individual will be tried for multiple crimes in multiple courts."

Sorry, that's one of the reasons why the federal government is part of the constitution, Josh.

Josh said...

The FBI is not part of the constitution.

Douglas Porter said...

Federal government is, though. The FBI is a derivative.

Josh said...

Nothing in the original constitutions provide the federal government the power to prosecute cross state crimes.

Douglas Porter said...

"Nothing in the original constitutions provide the federal government the power to prosecute cross state crimes"

Sure it does. Non-state and trans-state issues are the jurisdiction of the federal government.

Josh said...

"trans-state issues are the jurisdiction of the federal government."

I couldn't find this in the constitution. Please show me.

Douglas Porter said...

How else would it work, Josh? Tell me. The reason why they gave treaty powers to the federal government was because treaty powers transcend state borders. Very simple logic. The FBI is merely a derivative of this logic.

Josh said...

"treaty powers to the federal government was because treaty powers transcend state borders."

Treaty powers justify a federal police?

Douglas Porter said...

No, it is the reasoning behind delegating treaty powers to the federal government that makes the FBI constitutional.

Douglas Porter said...

That's how the courts work, Josh. They analyze not only the letter of the constution, but also the logic and its extensions.

Josh said...

I'm not arguing about the courts. A national police is not needed. The only exception would obviously be Washington, DC as it is a city of the federal government.

All other enforcement of laws should be left to the states as the state governments are the only ones that should be writing laws in the first place.

Chris said...

"I'm not arguing about the courts. A national police is not needed."

It's not a national police. It's a federal police.

"The only exception would obviously be Washington, DC as it is a city of the federal government."

Nope. Trans-state issues need to be handled by the federal government as well.

"All other enforcement of laws should be left to the states as the state governments are the only ones that should be writing laws in the first place."

I totally disagree. The federal government governs issues that the states can not and could not as the nation developed. Federal is merely the extension of the bill of rights, which is suppose to be the rule of the constitution in all states. States can not just choose to thumb their noses at the bill of rights or the spirit of the bill of rights.

 
F U R L O N G C O L O N Y 1
A sporadic update of the important events unfolding in Furlong Colony 1.