G-Shock, I've wanted this style of watch ever since I first saw it two years ago.
Module 1289 screams modern! modern! modern! to me whenever I look at it. The mold is complex and the color scheme something out of a comic book. If Megatron suddenly attacked me and it transformed into a robot and defended me, I wouldn't be surprised at all.
I bought it yesterday in Daegu; it cost me 80,000 Won after a 20% discount. As you can see, it has "20 bar" written on the bottom center of the display. It means that the watch is water resistant to depths of 200 meters or less. The the three circles on the upper part of the display are for precise count downs; up to 60 seconds worth in one run. Finally, the watch has a neat countdown mode which allows me to set a countdown weeks in advance.
Now you might question the wisdom of buying a wrist watch in this day and age. Clocks surround us! you might say. I for one have a clock on my phone, on my Ipod (which doesn't work), and on my camera, all of which I carry around 24-7. Why would I ever buy a wrist watch? You don't need one! Well, you know, sometimes the bling-bling is more important than utility; though, not often for me. Usually, I live on a strict utility philosophy. Packaging is crap; looks are secondary, but nice if they are the result of the utility of the device; utility defines the use-value and style of the device. Wrist watches are the exception to my utility philosophy.
Ever since I bought (in L.A.) and lost (in Grand Prairie) my red and black Armitron sports watch I have wanted another... good-looking watch. I've scoured the web for another red and black Armitron, but with no luck. I still curse the day I left it in my hotel room in Grand Prairie!
Fetishizing
Monday, May 12, 2008
Casio G-Shock Module 1289 -or- Fetishizing Over a Watch
Labels:
Too Much Stuff
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
For something you're not buying for functionality, it certainly has a lot of functionality you're trumpeting.
Yeah, but I'll never use any of the features.
Post a Comment