It took me 40 minutes in a taxi driven by a clueless Korean cabbie to get there. When I said I want to go to 'Seokbulsa', he gave me that blank expression, fidgeted with his radio, said, "Some foreigner wants to go to "Seokbulsa", but I don't know where it is",and then told me he new where it was. We ended on the opposite side of the mountain range before he was told exactly where it was and that he was on the wrong side, stupid. I chalked up about 20,000 Won worth of fare, but only paid him 15,000 Won because he got me lost. He smiled at me and said, "Okay, okay, okay". He was happy to be rid of me, to stop looking so stupid.
I arrived around 6pm on a Sunday night, which was very, very fortuitous, because not even the monks were at the temple. Everyone was gone. I had the place to myself. Just the surveillance cameras and my camera. I could snap away at the sacred Buddhas without feeling guilty. And I did.
Enjoy Seokbul Temple.
Full-screen slideshow.
Wednesday, June 17, 2009
Seokbul Temple, Busan: Nazi Outpost?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
14 comments:
Rudyard Kipling used that symbol as a signature on all his printed books prior to Nazi Germany. Pretty interesting, check it out on wiki...
Rudyard Kipling was a Nazi?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudyard_Kipling#Swastika_in_old_editions
Obviously not. I guess I'll be leaving the swastika up on my blog for quite a long time, Josh, because you seem to be prone to making statements similar to the statements made on Fox News.
It was a joke...I honestly didn't realize the points are in the opposite direction.
It doesn't matter which way they point. They are of different discourses and hence are different symbols. Them using a different tilt swastika is merely them being polite. Note that they didn't think it important enough to completely stop using a symbol they have been using for a couple of thousand years.
Of course not, they're different symbols.
No, they are not different symbols. The Buddhist merely tilted it different out of civility. The fact remains, they are same sybol BUT with radically different meanings surrounding them.
It looks to me that it was different prior to the holocaust.
In Korea, yes, they seem to favor non-tilted swastikas, but the Chinese Buddhists favor the same tilt as the Nazis did.
Right, yours has the points in the opposite direction, untilted, different meaning, therefore, different symbol.
No, Josh, the Chinese Buddhists have used the exact same symbol to mean something differnet.
If you say so. :)
All you have to do is read Wikipedia to find this out.
Post a Comment