Furlong Colony 1: Merry Christmas! Happy Chanukah! Merry Festivus! Happy Kwanzaa!
F U R L O N G C O L O N Y 1
A sporadic update of the important effects unfolding in Furlong Colony 1.

Saturday, December 6, 2008

Merry Christmas! Happy Chanukah! Merry Festivus! Happy Kwanzaa!

Say

"Merry Christmas!" to Christians.


Say

"Happy Chanukah!" to Jewish people.


Say

"Merry Festivus/Happy Solstice!" to non-believers.


Say

"Happy Kwanzaa!" to Africans who might celebrate Kwanzaa.


and Say

"Happy Holidays!" while in public, because it's polite.

No one is stealing a Christian's right to say "Merry Christmas!" in public as a private citizen: at home, on the street, at a business, or in a government building. Employees working for government and business, however, are different. They sell products to and provide services for everyone, which includes Christians, Jews, Africans, and Non-Believers. They SHOULD say "Happy Holidays!" to customers as a sign of respect. Canada is, constitutionally, a multi-cultural society, and in a multi-cultural society the proper holiday greeting is "Happy Holidays!"

In my opinion, it's best for a private citizen to say "Happy Holidays!" in public if only to avoid the slightly embarassing situation when a non-Christian responds, "I don't celebrate Christmas" to "Merry Christmas!" In other words, it's the polite thing to do.

Among Christians and some non-believers of Christians heritage, such as myself, a heartfelt "Merry Christmas!" is definitely welcome and appropriate. So while I respectfully disagree with you that "they" are stealing your right to say "Merry Christmas", I still want to wish you a

Merry Christmas!

3 comments:

Josh said...

"So while I respectfully disagree with you that "they" are stealing your right to say "Merry Christmas", I still want to wish you a Merry Christmas! "

Who is "you" in this sentence?

Douglas Porter said...

*shrug*

Josh said...

lol ok

 
F U R L O N G C O L O N Y 1
A sporadic update of the important events unfolding in Furlong Colony 1.