Hitler is often used as an example of that which we need to protect ourselves from becoming a victim of.
McCain often references Nazi Germany when referring to the need to stay in Iraq and go to war with Iran.
Its easy for those in power to use this instance of history to scare the population into bad policy.
And considering the history of humanity contains several figures that have committed equally abhorrent crimes against humanity, I dislike the use of Hitler as a reason to change principles. One would like us to think he was the second coming of Satan.
Mean while, 70 years later, his victims are planning an assault on a sovereign nation that has committed no crime, just like he did. And shall we assume the Israelis will treat the Iranians any different than Hitler treated the Jews once captured? Doubtful.
People with power are cruel, and this has very, very few exceptions.
1. My blog is a private website. Search engines like Google, Yahoo!, and MSN can not access this site, because I opted to keep Furlong Colony 1 private when I created it. It is only viewed by the people I send it to and the people they send it to.
2. Opinions expressed on this blog are merely opinions. Don't take them personal.
3. Any essays that appear on this website are third draft, and not intended to be of professional quality. If you find a mistake, please email me at cdfurlong@gmail.com so that I can correct it.
4. Any insults received on this website are merely Internet insults and should not be taken seriously. In the real world no one would use such language unless enraged. The Internet is a different world than the face-to-face world, and should be treated as such. :)
5. Posts should be packed full of content. Therefore, if you post contentless, rhetorical posts, I will delete them.
19 comments:
Celebrating the death of a person is rather disturbing.
His racist, war-mongering, intolerant politics were much more disturbing.
I'll do the same thing when Bush dies as well. Their politics has killed and impoverished millions of people.
if you're measurement of success is to be less disturbing than a mass murdering dictator, you need to raise the bar a bit.
I didn't even find Saddam Hussein death worth party balloons...but to each their own.
Then you have your politics messed up. Saddam was definitely worth party balloons. McCarthy, too.
I'd say celebrating the death of your political opponents is still rather disturbing.
Why?
Because there is nothing celebratory about the end of life.
So your point of departure is that life is precious? Even when that life snuffs or shackles other lives?
Jesse Helms was convicted of illegally shackling and snuffing people?
No, I'm using extreme examples to illustrate my point.
I would prefer you use specific examples to justify your point.
Hitler.
Should have been put into prison.
If he chose not to take his own life.
Hitler is often used as an example of that which we need to protect ourselves from becoming a victim of.
McCain often references Nazi Germany when referring to the need to stay in Iraq and go to war with Iran.
Its easy for those in power to use this instance of history to scare the population into bad policy.
And considering the history of humanity contains several figures that have committed equally abhorrent crimes against humanity, I dislike the use of Hitler as a reason to change principles. One would like us to think he was the second coming of Satan.
Mean while, 70 years later, his victims are planning an assault on a sovereign nation that has committed no crime, just like he did. And shall we assume the Israelis will treat the Iranians any different than Hitler treated the Jews once captured? Doubtful.
People with power are cruel, and this has very, very few exceptions.
Another reason government should be limited.
I'm sorry, did you digress without addressing what we are discussing?
i addressed it in previous comments, but i felt a need to express that thought.
No, you didn't.
Hitler. I see no reason why I shouldn't celebrate his death.
Post a Comment